Down and Out In the Magic Kingdom

What is your reaction to the text you just read?
My reaction to the text I just read was that of confusion and intrigue. I was interested to know what time in the future this was, seeing as how the narrator was claiming he was over a century old but when reading it I was under the impression he was well into his twenties due to the ability to be reborn as I assumed he meant when saying "the third of fourth blush of youth". I was a little confused when following the text and attempting to keep everything tied together cohesively, as this was the prologue and first chapter and there was a lot of unexplained information presented in such a short amount of time.

What elements of the story were you able to connect?
Right off the bat, I was able to connect with the fact that the narrator had been to or was traveling to Disney World. In his case, he explained that he lived there for a time, which I can't personally connect to in that way, but the idea of staying there for a long period of time is different. I have been there for a week at a time and with that I would say is somewhat similar. Additionally, he was explaining how he was working on his thesis, at this point I am doing the same, although it is not my  third or fourth, but rather my first and possibly only.

What changes you would make to adapt this story to another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make?
I would make certain changes to adapt this story to a graphic novel. Changes would include cutting out some information at the beginning of the story in order to fill it with pertinent information on setting up the world so the viewer understands the rules of that world when moving forward through the story. I might also, when introducing new terms to this world, add a blurb and spot illustration explaining the definition of that new term.

Comments

Popular Posts